Northeast Regional Convergence
Resist the Conference of New England Governors and Eastern Premiers
July 29-31, 2012
This July 29th-31st the political and economic elite of the Northeast are
meeting in Burlington, VT for the 36th Conference of New England Governors
and Eastern Canadian Premiers. In closed door meetings at the golf course
and dinner table, greenwashed resolutions for trade, energy, climate
change, transportation and infrastructure policies for the region will be
developed. The conference will be co-chaired by Vermont Governor Shumlin
and Quebec Premier Jean Charest.
The People are Organizing Too!
- Vermont social and environmental groups are working together to build
collaborative movements for health care, migrant justice, town & tribal
forests, education and economic justice.
- New England residents are organizing to defend our communities from
major new infrastructure projects, including the transport of Tar Sands oil
through New England, a private mega-highway across the north of Maine, and
the Northern Pass transmission lines cutting through New Hampshire.
- Across Quebec, indigenous Innu communities and environmental groups
are resisting Premier Charest’s proposed Plan Nord, a 25 year $80 billion
dollar industrial development scheme for mega dams, logging and mines in
- *Students in Quebec and Occupy activists are struggling against debt,
state violence and repression of dissent while environmentalists throughout
Canada are resisting Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s attack on nature and
- We act in solidarity with all the beautiful rebels and revolutionaries
across the world fighting for self-determination, sustainability and direct
We invite you all to join us in beautiful Burlington, July 29th through
31st for three days of action to disrupt the Governors’ conference while
cultivating a regional movement for people and the planet. Fight for a
world based on participation, equity, transparency and a restoration of the
- We will kick off our days of action with a large rally outside the
Conference and a march through downtown Burlington.
- Groups are invited and encouraged to plan autonomous actions
throughout the city during the three days of the conference and we will do
our best to provide the support you need. (Information, media, medic and
- We are organizing a convergence space to welcome groups and
individuals to Burlington, coordinate housing, food and actions, build
relationships and organize discussions or presentations about ongoing
Please forward this widely and stay tuned for more details!
Who We Are
We are the Governor’s Conference Welcoming Committee, a loose group of
individuals who live, work and organize in Vermont. We are coming together
to coordinate logistical support for a regional convergence to protest the
Governor’s Conference. While we all have relationships with local
organizations we are not acting on behalf of any one group or organization.
1. Confront the Conference of the New England Governors and Eastern
Premiers and demonstrate the power of the people.
2. Create a regional dialogue that encourages connections between
environmental, social and economic struggles.
3. Resist stagnation and political ritualism by learning from modes of
activism being employed in regional struggles.
4. Strengthen networks, ties and affinities which build our capacity for
a prolonged culture of resistance.
Contact us with your ideas, housing/access needs & general questions!
See you in the streets of Burlington!
The Governors’ Conference Welcoming Committee